Monday, May 20, 2013

Best Day of Our Lives!

If you hadn't heard, yesterday we held a Doctor Who Raffle at one of our favorite bars The Way Station.  If you haven't been there, let me tell you, it's amazing.  The staff are so friendly and all the regulars are always down to chat and always down to donate.  When we began talking about the raffle we had 3 prizes but after telling The Way Station community we started the day with 12 ridiculously awesome prizes! Among my favorites were a Cyberman Shower Radio (Didn't know that existed? Me neither.) and a K-9 shirt:
                          

      Anyhow it was all going fantastic when they told us they were going to do a fourth screening and wanted to know if we were going to stay for this one as well.  At this point we had watched three screenings of the same episode and Kathryn could see my tired dying soul in my eyes so she decided that...yes, yes we would stay for another screening.  Swallowing my impulse to cry I prepared myself for another 2 hours of raffling and episode watching when out of nowhere Steven Moffat walked into the bar.  If you don't know who that is, he's one of the most famous writers of Doctor Who.  He also writes for the shows Sherlock and Coupling... in short, he's a pretty big deal.  Just when Kathy and I were about to flip out and my brother was on the brink of "who is this? I can't relate with your emotions right now", Matt Smith himself (The current actor who plays The Doctor) also walked into the bar.  It was amazing.  We were beside our selves in excitement.
     After they got seated and the whole bar prepared to watch the final screening of the night, the MC called Kathryn and me on stage to make a last call for the raffle.  So there we were standing on stage in front of one of our favorite actors and my only orders from Kathryn were "hand me the mic when your done, so that I can describe Bike & Build".  So what did I do?  In a frantic trance I introduced both of us, I announced the raffle, I described Bike & Build and gave the mic straight back to the MC.  When I realized what I did I thought Kathryn was going to punch me in the face... I don't think I would have minded either.  I stole her one chance to speak directly to Matt Smith himself in front of an audience.  I don't think she'll ever do a favor for me again.
"Hey Kathryn can I borrow a pen?'"
      















Despite setting my self up for what will now be a very awkward summer, it was a very successful night! In total we raised $375 for affordable housing and met the people of our dreams.  Job well done I'd say.

Again a big thanks to our donors!  And don't forget to be awesome!

-Annamaria

No comments:

Post a Comment